Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Mountain Bike Ride: How Did It all Start?



My friends call me "Dids." Hmmm.. so how did this biking addiction started? Makes me wonder how I really got hooked up to this hobby. From not spending anything to really spending a lot on biking, from the bike itself, the apparel and lot of stuff just with cycling.

Well, I'd always loved to ride my bike since I was at a young age. Used to own a BMX which I use whenever I want to go to some place or whenever I got scolded by my parents. It's somehow my way of cooling down and forgetting on what happened at home. I even remembered going to school in High School riding my bike, it was fun and exciting.

This hobby somehow got discontinued when I got into college because of the difficulty of the course that I took which was Physical Therapy. Didn't have the time to ride anymore since I have to spend most of my time reading those thick books, memorizing the anatomical parts of the human body, kinesiology of human and the different diseases and cases related to rehabilitation.

So... how did I get back to the hobby? After graduating college and not being able to pursue the career in becoming a physical therapist, I somehow got into a sedentary lifestyle, worked at a call center for several years.
Knowing the nature of a call center industry, I was working several hours a day and in a graveyard shift so there was really no more time for me to exercise that much. I sometimes play basketball, twice a week but that was not enough to keep me from getting bigger. In short, I got fat! And because of having such a lifestyle, I got my blood checked and sad to say, my doctor informed me that I already have Diabetes.
The dreaded disease that my dad has right now. When I knew about the disease, I was so worried knowing the complications that this disease has, as I have seen them manifest through my dad.


My doctor then advised me to drink maintenance meds, loose weight and do regular exercises since there is no way to got the diabetes cured but to prevent the complications from showing up early. So I started doing regular exercises like cycling and basketball and having some diet.

I still wasn't that addicted to cycling, since I have basketball as my first loved sport. But adding insult to injury, I got a knee injury in December of 2008 while playing basketball. MRI showed that I had a partial tear of my medial and lateral meniscus on my Right knee.

It was so devastating on my part since basketball is my first love when it comes to sports. The first thing that came into mind when I fell from that injury is that I am no longer going to be able to play the sport. But because of my determination to still play the game, I devoted myself to rehabilitating the knee right away. So that's when the addiction to cycling came into place. To continue on exercising, I pursued my hobby on cycling.

At first, I was contented with the bike that I have, but time came that I am no longer satisfied with my rig. Add to the fact that my bike buddies have really nice bikes that I would like to have as well. So, I started changing this and that on the parts of my bicycle until I was able to build a really decent bike. And since then, up to now, I continue to change old parts on my bike and purchase new ones to upgrade my rig to make it lighter and good looking.

The good thing about doing cycling is that I was able to rehabilitate my knee at a faster rate and be able to play basketball again, I am able to continue exercising, I was able to loose some weight, I was able to improve my stamina, I am able to go to places I never thought I could go to just riding my bike and importantly, I am able to manage my diabetes by maintaining my blood sugar lever. Yeah, it might be expensive trying to build a pretty good mountain bike but come to think of it, it would be more expensive spending money on maintenance drugs for the disease itself and for the possibile complications in the future, which I hope doesn't happen to me.
One thing is for sure, I will continue to ride my bike as long as I can pedal. I have attached a picture of both my previous and current bike. Keep on Riding!

No comments:

Post a Comment